The Grand Final has ended and we have our winners! Congratulations to Duane Lye Dun Wei from Nanyang Technological University of Singapore for winning the 1st prize of 2015 IKEA Singapore Young Designer Award, with Obvi8. He is taking home S$1,500 cash, as well as a trip to IKEA of Sweden & Stockholm.
We would also like to thank everyone who participated and involved in this year’s competition and making the event a success. We will see you again next year!
Design prototypes by the 20 finalists will be showcased on 23 & 24 April at the locations below:
23rd April 2015, Thursday
Temasek Polytechnic, Design School New Wing
24th April 2015, Friday
Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Blk 58
You are welcome to give your say by casting your vote on the design that you think best fits the theme 'Good Mornings. Great Nights." while enjoying the complimentary hotdogs on us.
Have your say on the design by casting your vote on the design that you think best fits the theme 'Good Mornings. Great Nights." If the design you voted wins the top prize, you will be eligible to enter a lucky draw where 3 voters will be picked to win a S$200 IKEA Gift Card each.
Voting slips are available at the roving exhibitions, and the National Design Centre (25 - 27 April).
Terms and conditions apply.
Launched by IKEA Singapore in 2014, the IKEA Singapore’s Young Designer Award offers a platform for students to demonstrate their creativity and develop furnishing solutions that align with the main theme of the competition.
Last year’s theme was based on creating designs to Make Space Better. This year’s focus is on the two most private spaces of the home – the bedroom and bathroom.
To get inspired, you can check out our website at IKEA.sg for various home furnishing solutions and products.
In addition, we spoke to last year’s winner, Raffles Design Institute graduate Auradee Sae-Lin, to find out what she thought about her experience.
"The competition has been a great eye-opener for me, and although there was a lot of late nights spent coming up with my design for the competition, the best part was when I saw my idea made into a prototype and also being recognised for it.
The trip to Sweden was amazing, and I'm lucky that I was able to explore the heart of IKEA and also meet up with an IKEA designer to present my idea and receive valuable feedback. My internship experience has been very fruitful as well. I've made lots of new friends, and was able to learn more about the IKEA culture, the way we work, and also find out how much IKEA values sustainability in their product design."
IKEA and homes in Singapore are waiting for your creative designs to flow through - beginning now!
Submit your furniture/furnishing product based on the theme and criteria. All entries must be submitted online on this microsite by 6 March 2015.
- Include an explanation of no more than 500 words about your design concept functionality and materials.
- Design should be for the bedroom/bathroom, and cannot exceed 1m x 1m x 1m dimensions.
- Consideration must be given to environmental sustainability, whether in usage or creating a final product.
- Questions about the competition may be submitted here before 15 January 2015. 20 finalists will be selected from all entries.
- The Voting and accompanying Lucky Draw Contest for IKEA Singapore’s Young Designer Award 2015 are organised by Ikano Pte Ltd (hereforth known as “Ikano”), and are open to participation by anyone residing in Singapore at the time of voting, provided that he/she has a valid Singapore Unique Identification Number (NRIC No.) or a valid Foreign Identification Number (FIN), as the case may be, at the time that he/she submits his/her votes. All participants need to follow all instructions set out on ikea.sg/yda, or by any other publicity materials provided by Ikano at any time and from time to time, pertaining to the Voting and/or Lucky Draw Contest.
- Voting and Lucky Draw Contest
- The winning design will be selected solely by the evaluation by Judges (100%) based on the criteria set out in the official IKEA Singapore’s Young Designer Award 2015 website, ikea.sg/yda. The Judges will comprise representatives from Ikano, and key industry professionals selected by Ikano.
- Voting is subject to the limits as stipulated below. All submitted votes are irrevocable, and need to be filled using the official voting slip or printed copies and dropped into the voting boxes available at the venues of the exhibition.
- Voting period: 23 April 2015, 12pm – 27 April 2015, 5pm
- Each participant for the IKEA Singapore’s Young Designer Award 2015 Voting shall have a chance to enter the Lucky Draw to win a prize if the design concept that he/she votes for is the winning design.
- The winning design will be chosen at the Grand Finals at the National Design Centre on 28 April 2015. The names of the eligible entrants will be entered into a group for the Lucky Draw Contest, and random selection of the winners will be conducted by Ikano from this group of eligible entrants. Each entrant shall be allowed to claim only one prize of a $200 IKEA Gift Card. 3 winners will be selected.
- The Winners for the Lucky Draw Contest will be notified via email or phone within one month from the announcement of the winning design, and will be provided with details of the prize collection. Ikano reserves the right to forfeit any prizes not collected within the time period stipulated by Ikano, (2 weeks for collection of prize). In such event, Ikano shall not be liable to any person for any loss, expense, cost or damages in any way suffered or incurred in connection therewith.
- For verification purposes, Ikano may require an entrant of the Lucky Draw Contest to produce his/her passport or identification card for verification purposes.
- Ikano reserves the right to substitute, add or alter any item on the list of prizes offered, and the decisions of Ikano on the choice of winners and the prize to be awarded to any winner is final. No correspondence pertaining to these decisions will be entertained. Prizes awarded to the Winners cannot be exchanged with Ikano for cash or otherwise.
- The following persons are not eligible to participate in the Lucky Draw Contest: (a) employee(s) of Ikano (IKEA Singapore) (b) immediate family of such employee(s) and (c) agencies directly involved in the production of this event.
- Additional Responsibility of Each Entrant
- Each participant warrants that the information, details and particulars submitted by him/her to Ikano are true, accurate and complete.
- Each participant understands and agrees that by submitting his/her vote for participation in the Voting, he/she irrevocably grants Ikano the right to use such particulars in any manner as Ikano may deem fit.
- Each participant understands and agrees that he/she may have to participate, without payment or compensation, in any publicity activity arranged by Ikano in connection with the IKEA Singapore’s Young Designer Award 2015, and that in particular, if he/she should win a prize in the Lucky Draw competition, he/she may be featured in Ikano’s publicity materials.
- By participating in the Voting, each participant is agreeing to and shall be bound by these terms and conditions set out above, and Ikano may make all amendments, additions or replacements from time to time without prior notification to the voters.
- A participant shall not, without the prior written approval of Ikano, speak to the press or any other media nor give any interviews or comments relating to the Voting and/or Lucky Draw Contest. The participant shall not disclose any information whatsoever, obtained as a result of his/her participation in the Voting and/or the Lucky Draw contest, which relate to Ikano.
- Ikano reserves the right without any liability on their part whatsoever, to cancel, postpone, terminate, suspend, end, stop or change the terms and conditions of the Voting and/or the Lucky Draw Contest at any time without prior notice. Ikano also reserves the right to disqualify any participant of the Voting and/or Lucky Draw Contest for failure to abide by the terms and conditions set out herein, or for submitting false, inaccurate or incomplete information, or for any other reasonable cause, without first informing the participant and without being liable in any way whatsoever for any loss, expense, cost or damages suffered or incurred resulting from such disqualification, or in any way suffered or incurred in connection with the Voting or Lucky Draw Contest.
- To the fullest extent permitted by law, and without prejudice to other Terms and Conditions contained in this Agreement, Ikano, and the Government of the Republic of Singapore, shall not be liable in any way whatsoever to any participant for any loss, damage, liability or expenditure, howsoever suffered or incurred, in connection with the Voting or the Lucky Draw contest, including any loss, damage, liability or expenditure suffered or incurred as a result of the exercise by Ikano of any of their rights referred to in these Terms and Conditions.
- Should any dispute arise in connection with the Voting, the Lucky Draw Contest or these terms and conditions, the decision of Ikano will be final.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Singapore.
- A person who is not a party to this Agreement shall have no right under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act to enforce any of its terms.
The IKEA Singapore Young Designer Award is open to all students and undergraduates (Singaporeans and Permanent Residents) enrolled full-time in tertiary institutions in Singapore, including but not limited to the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University of Singapore (NTU), Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), Temasek Polytechnic (TP), Singapore Polytechnic (SP), Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP), Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP), Institute of Technological Education (ITE), Lasalle College of the Arts, Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) and Raffles Design Institute. Students may choose to work alone or with faculty members.
- Participation is on an individual basis only.
- Each participant may only submit one entry.
- No participation fees are required.
- This competition is only open to Singapore citizens and permanent residents enrolled full-time in a tertiary institution in Singapore from Jan – Dec 2015.
- All entries must be new, original and unpublished – never featured in any media channels or design competitions/awards.
- Individuals will be required to submit a furniture design in accordance with the theme, “Good Mornings. Great Nights.” and criteria stated.
- The furniture designed should be one that can be found/used in the: Bedroom or Bathroom only.
- Entries must be commercially viable and sustainable to produce based on the IKEA retail concept, i.e: can be flat-packed (otherwise packaged in a manner that allows for easy self delivery), self-assembled, and is affordable to retail.
- Designs will also be scored on how they incorporate sustainability such as use of environmentally friendly materials or promote sustainable living in the home i.e; recycling etc.
- Completed entries are to be submitted online on the microsite at IKEA.sg/yda by Feb 15 2015.
- Submission requirements:
- Design artwork in PDF format
- File size – maximum of 2MB (300dpi), only one file may be submitted for entry
- Print size – A3 (420 x 297mm)
- Artwork must include general dimensions of the product, and have an accompanying description of no more than 150 words to explain the concept, function and materials of the design.
- These Terms and Conditions of Entry and Rules apply to all participants of the IKEA Singapore’s Young Designer Award 2015.
- Finalists selected will be determined by the panel of judges appointed by Ikano Pte. Ltd. (“Ikano”), and of whose decision is deemed as final and irrefutable. Ikano reserves the right to reject any submission that it deems illegible, incomplete, damaged, plagiarized, past entry submission deadline and for any other reasons it deems inappropriate.
- All competition entries must be the original work of the participant.
- Submissions may not contain any intellectual property of any third party such as logos, trademarks, service marks or copyrighted material.
- Shortlisted entries will be posted onto the Young Designer Award 2015 microsite and an email notification will be sent to the respective students.
- Entrants are fully responsible for the content they submit to Ikano. Ikano shall not be fully liable in any way for such Content to the full extent permitted by law. Ikano reserves the right to remove any Content without notice for reasons whatsoever.
- Ikano would like to publish the name, age, photographs, recorded audio/video, written communications, competition entry (the design and product prototype) and likeness, of any one of the participants, on its website and via other media channels for advertising and publicity purposes. By entering into this competition, all entrants consent to this information being used in these ways without further consent, notification or compensation.
- During your course of dealing with us, Ikano may have, and / or will collect, use, disclose and process the participant’s personal data for purposes, including, to communicate with the participant in relation to this competition. In order to conduct this competition in a smooth manner, we may also be disclosing the personal data you have provided to us to our third party service providers, agents and/or our affiliates or related corporations, and/or other third parties whether sited in Singapore or outside of Singapore, for one or more of the above-stated Purposes. Such third party service providers, agents and/or affiliates or related corporations and/or other third parties would be processing your personal data either on our behalf or otherwise, for the above-stated Purpose.
- Participants agree that they will not associate the competition with other activities of direct competitor brands of IKEA, including but not limited to through public events, blogs, photographs, videos, etc.
- Participants are disallowed from making any direct and/or indirect contact with the media relating to the Competition, except if requested by or authorised by IKEA.
- Employees (and their immediate families) of Ikano/IKEA are ineligible to enter.
- If the specified prize is unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances, Ikano may substitute another prize of similar or equal value.
- All rights related to the name and trademark of the IKEA Singapore Young Designer’s Award is managed and owned exclusively by Ikano.
- All dates and time reference are based on Singapore GMT +8 Standard Time Zone.
- By entering this competition, all participants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Ikano reserves the right to alter any competition rules at any time without giving prior notice to participants.
The top 3 design concepts wins:
$1,500 cash, plus a trip to IKEA of Sweden & Stockholm* (total worth of $5,000) and Optional Internship at IKEA Singapore
* The trip might take place in June/July 2015.
$1,000 cash, plus Optional Internship at IKEA Singapore
$500 cash, plus Optional Internship at IKEA Singapore
* IKEA Singapore does not house a product design department as all designs are managed by IKEA of Sweden.
* Internships in IKEA Singapore are optional. If students are interested, internships can be with the Communication and Interior Design team, bearing in mind that this may not be fully in line with the course of studies. The duration of this optional internship is valid for up to 3 months, and the opportunity is valid for up to a year after prize is awarded.
1st Prize - $1,500 cash, plus a trip to IKEA of Sweden & Stockholm (total worth of $5,000) and Optional Internship* at IKEA Singapore
2nd Prize - $1,000 cash, plus Optional Internship* at IKEA Singapore
3rd Prize - $500 cash, plus Optional Internship* at IKEA Singapore
*Terms and conditions apply. Please check Prizes tab for more information.
Out of all entries received, 20 finalists will be selected to proceed to the second round. The finalists will then be provided $500 by IKEA to produce prototypes of their design concepts, as well as a 20-second video on the final product.
Finalists will then present their prototypes for final judging, location to be confirmed nearer the date.
Creativity/ Design : 30%
Functionality : 30%
Relevance to theme : 30%
Environmental-friendliness & sustainability : 10%
Entries were judged based on the following criteria:
Creativity/ Design : 30%
Functionality : 30%
Relevance to theme : 30%
Environmental-friendliness & sustainability : 10%
IKEA Product Development & Technology Services Co. Ltd (Shanghai)
Ikano Retail Asia
To submit your design concepts, please access this tab using a desktop or laptop. Thank you!
The submission has been closed.
Check out the prototypes created by the top 20 finalists as well as the video on each of the submission.
Here are the winners of 2015 IKEA Singapore’s Young Designer Award:
Duane Lye Dun Wei
Nanyang Technological University of Singapore
Lim Li Xue
National University of Singapore
Chiam Yong Sheng Kevin
National University of Singapore
The Popularity Prize goes to Jed Leong Wen Xuan who takes home an IKEA Gift Card of S$400.